Our second Scottie, Jeb, came along on New Years day 1992. He was a beautiful Wheaton Scottie who was bred in the Shenendoah Valley of VA. My husband just loves history especially the Civil War. What was more appropriate than naming our little guy after a Confederate Civil W
ar General, J.E.B. Stuart, thus beginning our tradition of naming our dogs after famous people. Jeb was a gentle giant. He was quite large for a Scottie but had the most kindest heart. He was friendly with everyone, even children. Due to his buddy, Chad, being boss, he did have to challenge him once in a while so we did have a few fights to break up. They were also best friends and it wasn't unusual to see them sleeping side by side. Jeb became suddenly ill in 2005 and we had to make that tough decision to help him cross the Rainbow Bridge. I'm happy that both my girls were able to meet Jeb and that he was as kind to them as I knew he would be. Jeb and Chad were treated just like our kids for over 12 years before we adopted M and E.
ar General, J.E.B. Stuart, thus beginning our tradition of naming our dogs after famous people. Jeb was a gentle giant. He was quite large for a Scottie but had the most kindest heart. He was friendly with everyone, even children. Due to his buddy, Chad, being boss, he did have to challenge him once in a while so we did have a few fights to break up. They were also best friends and it wasn't unusual to see them sleeping side by side. Jeb became suddenly ill in 2005 and we had to make that tough decision to help him cross the Rainbow Bridge. I'm happy that both my girls were able to meet Jeb and that he was as kind to them as I knew he would be. Jeb and Chad were treated just like our kids for over 12 years before we adopted M and E. During our long wait for referral for M, I had this urge to find another dog. I began to look for rescue Scotties on petfinder.com. I found what was described as a purebred Scottie at this shelter in Indiana. I got in contact with the shelter and arranged a meeting on June 4, 2002. When I arrived at this shelter, they brought this black dog out. He was definitely not a Scottie, but I just couldn't leave him there. He was having some issues at the shelter and the people were totally shocked that he was so loving towards me. I asked him if he wanted to come home
with me and he looked me in the eyes and licked my hand, so home he came. He is now known as Ike(after Dwight D. Eisenhower). Ike's saving grace was also that someone didn't know what a Scottie looked like because I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have driven 2 hours to bring him home if a photo of him was on Petfinder.com. I'm so thankful that I didn't know what he looked like too or else I wouldn't have experienced the total unconditional love that Ike gives me everyday when he looks at me with those brown eyes. Ike came home one month before we found out that Chad had cancer. I guess I was suppose to find this dog for a companion for Jeb when Chad died (by the way, Chad didn't like Ike at all). Jeb and Ike got along wonderfully and Ike was totally lost when Jeb passed away. Today Ike still has issues with strangers due to abuse prior to us rescuing him. He has stranger anxiety (especially men) and has to be locked up when we have people visit. It takes him a long time for him to build trust with people and to know that you won't hurt him. He is still wonderful with me and he is also great with the girls. We estimate Ike to be about 6 1/2 years old now.
When Jeb died, we needed another Scottie so badly. We called Jeb's breeder and she had this W
heaton Male available that was 6 months old. He wasn't a young puppy anymore and she was having problems finding him a home. He was a distant relative of Jeb too which made us feel better that we were going to have a little of Jeb still with us. So 2 weeks after Jeb's passing we drove to VA and brought home our 3rd Scottie, Mosby (named after another famous Civil War person from VA). What can I say about Mosby. Mosby has so many of the same characteristics of his distant relative, Jeb. He is the most friendly Scottie that we have had so far. He became fast friends with Ike and the 2 of them were chasing each other around the house shortly after we brought him home. Mosby isn't perfect, especially when it comes to house training. We've had to install baby gates to keep him out of parts of the house because of his marking problem but that's ok.
Our dog crazy house didn't stop with Mosby. My brother (who is also a Scottie L
over) told us that his breeder just had another litter. That is how our sweet little Belle became a member of our family in May 05. You may think Belle is named after the Disney princess, but you are wrong. She's named after a Confederate Spy, Belle Boyd. We just had to continue our tradition of dogs named after famous people in history. If I could describe a perfect dog, that is Belle. She was easy to train and is really friendly and gentle. She can put the 2
boys in their place if needed and the boys respect her for that. She has spunk and can be seen chasing and playing with Ike and Mosby all over the yard and house. Belle is our last dog for a while. We hope she is with us for a very long time.
So, my house is very active with 2 kids and 3 dogs but I wouldn't have it any other way!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment