Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Batiks

One of my favorite types of fabric is Batik. Batik is a hand dyed fabric usually made in Indonesia (well at least the best qaulity batiks are made there). Since they are hand dyed, each piece of fabric is original because the colors and patterns vary from bolt to bolt. Below are a couple of quilt tops that I've made completely from Batiks.

The first is from the book Stack a New Deck. It's the quilt on the cover called Bent out of Shape. It's a very easy technique of layering squares of fabric, cutting them randomly, mixing the fabric in the square and sewing them back together. They are then trimmed to a certain size.




The second quilt is called Round and Round. It's from a pattern designed by Quilt Country. Their website is www.quiltcountry.com. It too is a very easy pattern of making 2 different squares out of strips of fabric.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Found you through my daughter--sarahs-adventures.blogspot.com--I have been trying to get her to consider batiks (for her OHGWQ) and now I see your beautiful batik tops--unfortunately I am afraid that piecing--no matter how easy--is a bit beyond both of us right now. My daughter is from UT but I am OH born and bred--up by Lake Erie's south shore West of Cleveland (but East of Cedar Point). Your daughters are adorable.
On the computer thing--I received a new mother board through the mail and couldn't afford to pay someone to install it--so someone talked me through it and I was able to take that computer apart just fine--if a 60 year old can do it--so can you--you only need to loosen the outer casing so that you can reach the memory card--it's a snap--trust me.

Pat from Lorain, OH
AKA
Sarah's LaoLao

Anonymous said...

I love batik's too (I'm an art teacher) these are beautiful quilts! What a gift you have... I am jealous!! Your girls are also beautiful! I have an adopted daughter from Guatemala and waiting on one from Vietnam. I working on my first OHGWQ for my girls... it is so much fun to swap fabrics! Thanks for sharing you blog!!
Teri AP/PAP
www.myblueskyadoption.com

Ivy Shaffer said...

I love this quilt and how you put it together. Batiks seem to add a certain depth to the quilt. You're a true artist.

Ivy