Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Nickel Quilt

You are probably asking what is a nickel quilt? Well, it's a quilt made from many "nickels" of fabric or 5x5 inch squares. Another name for the fabric square is a charm square. About 3 years ago, I attended a 2 day workshop with the authors of a quilt book called Nickel Quilts. During that workshop, I learned all the little techniques on how to sew a quilt using only 5 inch squares. It's amazing what kind of blocks you can create from just little squares of fabric. . Since my first workshop, I have been collecting 5 inch squares. Most of them are from my own stash because I'll just cut up some 5 inch squares from left over fabric from other projects. One of the many projects I'm working on now, is a quilt from a new book published by the same author, More Nickel Quilts, called Beach Party. I'm using all of my bright nickel squares in the quilt and the background has little ballerinas all over it. Below are some photos of the quilt in progress. I'm hoping to make this quilt for one of my daughters. Since they both take dance lessons, they may just have to take turns on who gets to put it on their bed. I'm sure I'll create some kind of fight by not making 2 quilts but they'll get over it.
One quilt square made from 1/2 square triangle units

The other square made from 4 patch units

The quilt so far. It will end up being a twin when or if I finish.

1 comment:

Stacey T. said...

I'm working on a Nickel Quilt from the original book a queen sized Sunny Lanes.....I'm exhausted by it :)

It's the first quilt that I'm making for "ME" though!!!