Since this was t
he Eve of Chinese New Year, we were scheduled to have dinner at a local families home. We went to the home of Michael Han's (the owner of Always and Forever Homeland Adoption tours) sister and mother. I really think the home was not the typical Chinese family because it was actually very nice and large, not what I thought most homes were like. I believe the family is one of the "rich" Chinese. They actually lived in a 2 story Single Family home that had lots of rooms and a well equiped Kitchen. They even had 2 large flat screen TVs. I was also kind of surprised at how all the activities took place. The dinner was more informal that I thought because not everyone sat down at the table at the same time to eat (I envisioned the dinner to be similar to our Thanksgiving dinners but it wasn't). They had a young son and he just sat at the table long enough to eat a little and then left. The mom didn't sit down right away either. There was lots of variety of food and everything was very good (M of course didn't eat much again). The Dad did set off fireworks periodically throughout
the evening. There are no laws governing the type
of fireworks individuals could set off so some pretty powerful fireworks were set off all over the city. M. was having a hard time throughout the evening mainly because the family didn't speak English and she just felt out of place. She had a mini breakdown in a spare bedroom because the family thought she might want to take a rest and she really didn't want to be in the room (it was tough to say no when you really couldn't communicate that well). M. did recover well enough to be a good girl the rest of the evening. We didn't stay until midnight because M was getting very tired. On the way back to the hotel, the local people were just setting off fireworks all over the place. M and I didn't stay awake until Midnight but I was awakened many times with all the noise of the fireworks until late in the morning.
An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break." --An ancient Chinese belief
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Wednesday, Feb 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment